OCIA SPONSOR GUIDELINES
“A sponsor accompanies any candidate seeking admission as a catechumen. Sponsors are persons who have known and assisted the candidates and stand as witnesses to the candidates’ moral character, faith, and intention.”
“As they become familiar with the Christian way of life and are helped by the example and support of sponsors, godparents, and the entire Christian community, the catechumens learn to turn more readily to God in prayer, to bear witness to the faith, in all things to keep their hopes set on Christ, to follow supernatural inspiration in their deeds, and to practice love of neighbor, even at the cost of self-renunciation.”
From the Order of Christian Initiation for Adults
The Ministry of the Sponsor
The ministry of the sponsor is a ministry of accompaniment.
A sponsor is not a teacher, not a spiritual director, not an expert.
A sponsor is a living example of what it means to be an ordinary, happy Catholic.
A sponsor supports the candidate through the gift of her or his presence, consistently and intentionally.
A sponsor is a witness of the candidate’s spiritual journey into the Catholic Church.
A sponsor helps the candidate discover the Church as a living, practical, day-to-day reality.
A sponsor presents the needs of his or her candidate to God daily in prayer.
Basic Requirements of a Sponsor
To be a sponsor, you must…
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Have received the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and communion.
- Be someone other than the parent or spouse of the catechumen/candidate.
- Be a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church.
- Regularly receive the sacraments of reconciliation and communion
- (Preferably) be a registered member of the parish.
- (Preferably) be someone other than the spouse or significant other of the catechumen/candidate.
- Pray for your candidate every day.
- Attend Mass every Sunday, preferably with your candidate.
- Attend catechetical sessions with your candidate.
- Meet with your candidate at least once every other week for at least 30 minutes.
- Check-in with the OCIA director at regularly scheduled times and as needed.
- Intentionally invite your candidate to join and participate in the communal life of St. Anne Catholic Church.
For more information or to volunteer to sponsor or assist with this important ministry, please email Dcn. Kevin Malarkey at DeaconKevin@StAnneBA.org.